The UK Office for National Statistics has released its statistical bulletin in respect of births in England and Wales for the year 2013.
- There were 698,512 live births in England and Wales in 2013, a decrease of 4.3% from 729,674 in 2012.
- In 2013, the Total Fertility Rate (TFR) decreased to 1.85 children per woman, from 1.94 in 2012.
- In 2013 the stillbirth rate fell to 4.7 per thousand total births, from 4.9 in 2012.
- The average age of mothers in 2013 increased to 30.0 years, compared with 29.8 years in 2012.
- Over a quarter (26.5%) of live births were to mothers born outside the UK; a small increase compared with 25.9% in 2012.
This bulletin presents summary statistics of live births and stillbirths in England and Wales in 2013.
The birth statistics reported include counts of live births and stillbirths, fertility rates by age of mother and by area of usual residence, and the percentage of births to mothers born outside the UK.
This is the first time that 2013 annual figures for births in England and Wales have been published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
Live Births (Numbers and Rates)
There were 698,512 live births in England and Wales in 2013, compared with 729,674 in 2012 (a fall of 4.3%). This fall represents a change to the increasing numbers of births that has been reported each year since a low in 2001, with the exception of a 0.3% fall in 2009. Between 2001 and 2012 live births rose by 23%. The fall in live births in 2013 represents the largest percentage annual decrease since 1975.
Current UK and European policies and lifestyle are leading to depopulation, decline and eventual disaster unless there is a major change in direction. In spite of the obvious consequences of its current strategies and lifestyle the UK and indeed the rest of Europe continues relentlessly to choose policies that lead to more abortion and contraception under code-words such as reproductive rights, and reproductive health choices and services. The essential question is, are we going to remain captive to anti life ideologies which can only spell disaster? There is time to change but time is short and the consequences are of huge significance.