Zenit news agency reports today on the work of our pro-family and pro-life coalition, Voice of the Family, and in particular our criticism of the Bishop of Antwerp Johan Bonny and the fact that his open letter appears to be totally contrary to Catholic teaching and to endorse the use of IVF which typically involves the destruction of human embryos.
Bonny in his open letter ;
▪ denies the reality of moral absolutes in the name of ‘proportionalism’, an approach to morality always condemned by the Church
▪ contradicts those teachings of the Second Vatican Council which uphold objective morality and moral absolutes, including in the area of sexual ethics
▪ quotes selectively from the Second Vatican Council, omitting crucial material which rejects the bishop’s approach
▪ rejects natural moral law, which the Church has upheld throughout its history
▪ effectively denies the indissolubility of marriage, by reducing it to the subjective decisions of couples
▪ offers no real support for couples in difficult situations
▪ ignores the needs of children, including the need to be protected from damaging effects of parents’ irregular situations
▪ gives no criteria for worthiness to receive Holy Communion, and no explanation how mortal sin could possibly be compatible with receiving Holy Communion
▪ fails to define ‘conscience’, even though it is a key topic in the Letter
▪ appears to endorse use of IVF, despite the fact that IVF has been repeatedly condemned by the Church, and typically involves the destruction of human life
implies support for the myth of world ‘over-population’.