Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The human dignity of aborted babies


Although this story relates to an event that took place in 2007 perhaps it is worth re-telling – it is not an old story. The story captures in a very important way the humanity and dignity not only of the 10 babies referred to here but of every unborn baby whose human life is ended by abortion. But there is another reality their immortal souls live on and it is therefore a holy and a wholesome deed to have recognised this and acted upon it.  This action is to be admired.

‘I have been on the front lines of the battle to restore respect for human life for over 24 years, and I thought I had seen just about everything.  There is not much that can shake me up any more.  But on June 11, I did one of the hardest things I have ever done.
‘After I left Schooler Funeral Home, it was a couple of hours before I could focus enough to begin to write what I had seen and experienced: A child-size casket containing 10 preborn babies.  The babies varied in age from 25 days to apparently full term.  The full term baby has flowing brown hair and the most beautiful little face. …
‘I went to my car and got a Blessing Blanket for these little ones, and back in I went, with Jim [the funeral director] leading the way to the room where the babies lay in state.  These babies had been dead for at least 35 years but were preserved by a scientific research firm.  Each was encased in an acrylic block, something like a paper weight with a baby inside.  I could have been just another curious onlooker.  But the babies had been entrusted to us for burial, and it was my job to sign the papers; ten papers for ten babies.  Ten babies encased in ten cubes, in one casket.
‘It is impossible to wrap your mind around the cold reality that these children had been deprived of the most basic human dignity for over 35 years, and I wondered if anyone had ever hugged them or loved them.  So I did.  I picked each one up individually and walked across the room, holding the babies close to my heart.  I put each one on the pink baby blanket that says “Wrapped in Jesus’ Love” and I took a picture of these precious little ones.
‘I spiritually adopted them, so that they would have an earthly mother who knows where their bodies will be buried and who loves them, and I signed each of their committal papers. …
‘Tuesday evening, June 12, Bishop John W. Yanta presided at the rosary for the babies at Schooler Funeral Home, assisted by Msgr. CalStalter.  More than 75 people came to pray for the souls of the babies and for their parents.  Then on Wed., June 13, Bishop Yanta presided at their burial at the Hour of Mercy in Memory Gardens, near the statue of the Holy Family….
‘Msgr. Harold Waldow will celebrate the Mass of the Holy Innocents for the babies on July 7 at 9:30 a.m. at St. Mary’s in Amarillo [Texas, USA].  Please join us in remembering these little children who never celebrated a birthday, never felt a mother’s hug, and who waited so long for a Christian burial.’   May they rest in peace.

[from the blog of the Catholic Pro-Life Committee]